BANDED JANUARY 5, 2010

Thursday, January 7, 2010

D-Day


I arrived at 10:30am at Salt Lake Regional. I felt like a celebrity, seriously. Everyone knew who I was and lots of people stopped by to say hello and wish me good luck. I got my first experience as a "film star" from Brother Brigham* as he recorded my entry to the hospital and followed me through the pre-op process as well as the entire surgery. I don't think the hubs expected to be on film....oh well.

I had a little physical where it turns out I was still healthy enough to have surgery (phew!) and then had my IV started. Only took 3 tries.....I have horrible disappearing veins. Then, a little conversation with the surgeon and anesthesiologist and I was off to surgery.


I woke feeling like I had just gone to sleep. I remember asking as I was drifting off for them to let me sleep a little longer than usual. I don't know if they did. It was hard to wake up. I hate coming out of that lovely deep sleep. I remember reaching down to feel the incisions on my stomach and realizing it was over.

I thought it strange that Dr. Cottam never came back to talk to me, but apparently he had a conversation with the hubs. It also felt like ages before the hubs came in to see me.

After a little time in recovery, I decided I was ready to go home. I hate hanging around the hospital....but before I could go home, I had to do my "exit interview" with Bro. Brigham.

I'm thankful to everyone at the hospital who made me feel so welcome and for being so fabulous. It was a great experience and I felt so at ease. I know my nurses didn't expect to be on film, but handled it beautifully. You are all naturals!

I'm home, recovering now - and feel heavily sedated at times, so excuse the slopiness of this post.


*Brigham Cottam (independent film maker)

1 comment:

Polly Blevins said...

IV's are the worst! It took 10 tries on me once. The anasthesologist (sp?) had to come and put it in. I dread that more than labor. Good luck!